Man, it's soooo cold in my house! Chicago winters are brutal, especially in a drafty home. That's why I always try to keep busy in the kitchen by baking cookies or huge entrees. There are some days when I don't have time to cook when I get home from work. That's when I use a crock pot. I get up a little early in the morning and start getting the ingredients ready to toss into the pot. While Becca and I are at work our dinner is cooking. My chunky beef stew is one of my favorites to make. I use lots of baby carrots and potatoes in this.
Chunky Beef Stew
- 3 cups of vegetable juice (like V8 or tomato juice)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 lbs of stew meat, mostly BEEF!!!
- 2 large russet potatoes or 5 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped, or a small bag of baby carrots
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 3 tablespoons or cubes of beef flavored instant buillon
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- Make sure you use a liner for your slow cooker! So much easier for clean up.
- Pour vegetable juice, ketchup, and water into the slow cooker.
- Add bouillon, beef, potatoes, carrots, onion, and pepper. Stir gently.
- After stirring ingredients together, put lid on slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker on LOW for 8 to 9 hours OR HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, until beef is tender.