Thursday, August 19, 2010

yummy delicious and refreshing 'ades

Hello loverlies!

It's been a crazy hot and humid summer in Chicago! I know I posted sangria recipes last time, but sometimes you just don't want wine. Sometimes you just want to bring something to sip on at work or on the go. Lemonades and limeades have been key beverages my summer. Here are a couple of my favorite recipes for that. Enjoy!
 .
This recipe was inspired by the lavender lemonade that I always get at Julius Meinl. The syrup that they use does not have that flowery soap like taste at all. It's so yummy that I had to try to make it myself.

Lavender Lemonade

Ingredients:
  • 5 cups of cold water
  • 1 cup of fresh lemon juice (usually this takes 5 lemons, depending on size)
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2 tbs of dried lavender buds
  • ice as desired

Directions:

  1. In a medium pot, combine 1 cup of the water, sugar, and lavender on medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring, or at least til the sugar has dissolved. Take off heat.
  2. Stir in lemon juice. Let it stand for 10 mins.
  3. In a pitcher, add the rest of the water. 
  4. Carefully strain the lemonade mixture into the pitcher of water. Stir.
  5. Place in refrigerator before serving. If you can't wait (cuz I usually can't) add ice as desired.


The one thing that I always look forward to is Farmers Markets that are all over the city. I've been in this cherry kick for awhile now. I had to incorporate this with a limeade! After a few tries I finally perfected the recipe!
 
Very-Cherry Limeade

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups of cold water
  • 1 1/2 cups of sugar
  • 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of cherries, pitted
  • 1 cup of fresh lime juice (this took about 12 - 14 limes)
  • ice as desired

Directions:
  1. In a medium pot, combine 2 cups of the water, sugar, cherries, and lime juice on a medium heat. 
  2. While the liquid starts to heat up, gently mash the cherries to let out their essence. 
  3. Bring to a boil while stirring, or until sugar has dissolved. Take of heat and let it stand til it cools. 
  4. In a pitcher add the rest of the water.
  5. Carefully strain limade mixture into the pitcher. Stir.
  6. Place in refrigerator or add ice as desired before serving. 

BON APPETIT!


**FYI: In case you all have noticed, I strain the lemonade mixture quicker instead of letting it cool like the limeade. The reason being is because I found out the longer you let the lavender buds steep, the more perfumey it starts to taste.

No comments: